From 12 to 16 September 2023, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń hosted the final stage of the World Copernican Congress. The Congress was being held in Poland in 2023 to mark the 550th anniversary of the birth of Nicolaus Copernicus. The main objective of the Congress was to present the state of research on the life and work of the eminent scientist and astronomer and his impact on the development of science, culture and the arts.
The event was organised by Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń, Jagiellonian University in Kraków, University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn and the Institute of the History of Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences. Due to the rich and still alive and developing Copernican traditions in these centres, the Congress had a rolling formula. The official opening of the proceedings was scheduled for 19 February 2023 in Toruń - the anniversary of Nicolaus Copernicus' birth and, at the same time a celebration of the University of Toruń. Then the proceedings was held successively in Kraków (24-26 May), Olsztyn (21-24 June) and Toruń (12-15 September).
Honorary Committee of the Toruń part of the Congress:
- Rector of the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń, Prof. dr hab. Andrzej Sokala
- Marshal of the Kujawsko-Pomorskie Voivodship, Piotr Całbecki
- Mayor of Toruń, Michał Zaleski
- Partner representatives: Apator S.A., Fabryka Cukiernicza KOPERNIK S.A., Mentor S.A., Toruńskie Zakłady Materiałów Opatrunkowych S.A.
- Chair of the Scientific Council of the Astronomy Section, Prof. Jarosław Włodarczyk (IHN PAN in Warsaw)
- Chair of the Scientific Council of the Cultural Studies section, Prof. Krzysztof Mikulski (NCU in Toruń)
- Chair of the Scientific Council of the Medicine Section, dr Katarzyna Pękacka-Falkowska (UM in Poznań)
Organisational Committee of Toruń events:
- prof. dr hab. Krzysztof Mikulski
- dr Tomasz Jędrzejewski
- prof. dr hab. Włodzimierz Jaskólski
- dr hab. Mieczysław Kunz, prof. UMK
- prof. dr hab. Jarosław Włodarczyk
- dr Katarzyna Pękacka-Falkowska
- dr Michał Targowski
- mgr Michał Kłosiński